Making a better future for the next generation in Michigan.

Our Kids’ Brainpower Is the Best Investment for 2040

Oct 27, 2022 | Education, Featured | 0 comments

In 2022, Michigan awarded General Motors $666 Million in state funds to develop its electric vehicle project. GM promised to create between 3,200 and 4,000 jobs – that’s about $185,000 per job. That’s a nice thing to do for 0.04% of Michigan’s population. But is it fair to the other 99.96%?

In 2019, states and local governments in the U.S. spent an estimated $90 Billion to attract businesses. Corporations have figured out the game. They pit states against each other to get the best deals for themselves.

Are these subsidies the best investment for our kids’ future?

Will these investments create the best opportunities for the next generation? What if Michigan used these funds to invest in the brainpower of their children? At the same time Michigan offered $666 Million to General Motors, EducationWeek gave it a “D+” for its K-12 educational achievement.

What if Michigan directed funds away from corporate subsidies and toward educating its children? Massachusetts is the top ranked state for educational attainment. It spends $6,000 more per year per K-12 pupil than Michigan. The result? Massachusetts sends more of its kids to college. Having better educated citzens shows up in higher incomes. Massachusetts’ median income per household in 2022 was $93,550 compared to Michigan’s at $68,990.

Incomes rise with educational attainment

Census data supports a strong connection between levels of education and median personal income in the U.S. Take a look at these numbers from 2020:

Educational Level Median Annual Income

• 9th Grade Education, No Diploma: $ 16,175

• High School Diploma or Equivalent: $ 26,694

• Some College or Associate’s Diploma: $ 33,220

• Bachelor’s or Higher Diploma: $ 56,681

This picture was recently confirmed by one of my favorite think tanks, Michigan Future, Inc. In a recent study of the Michigan job market, they found that almost 80% of high paying jobs — defined as paying more than $64,000 – required a bachelor’s or higher diploma.

It seems clear that a strong K-12 system is the foundation for prosperity in today’s world. Making a good share of high school graduates college-ready should be a high priority. Unless Michigan invests the resources necessary for a top notch K-12 system, our children will not be able to compete and prosper in 2040.

What can we do?

Let’s ask state our legislators to stop subsidizing corporations and invest in our public schools! Send them a link to this article and tell them how you feel. You can contact them at: Find Your Representative.

Archives

Categories





Become a Future Maker

Future makers are those who care about what we are leaving for our future generations. They are informed people who would like to share their knowledge in order to help create a future where our children and grand children can thrive. If you have something to say and would like to contribute to this site as a writer, follow the link below.

More

Join the Conversation

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest Posts

Pin It on Pinterest